3.12.10

thursday




I've listened to a heady, tireless amount of Aznavour lately. I always wonder what throws me into a musical mood. As the season shifts, winter staples are slowly trickling their way into my autumn repertoire. Naturally, too much Leonard Cohen always. Otherwise, bucketfuls of Michael Hurley, Odetta, & the Ink Spots (normally too much Django, but he really seems more appropriate in the spring, no?). The pleasure of succumbing to whims seems most prominent in what I listen to.

Unsettling to dwell on the comparison of this year and last. A cold Monaco* will save such thoughts.











These stills were lovingly zilched from Tirez sur le pianiste (1960) by François Roland Truffaut.

*A Monaco is best with a pale ale, grenadine, & limonade (sprite will do). Some replace the limonade with champagne, but I've yet to do this (shocking, considering I go a bit weak in the knees for anything brut).

12 comments:

  1. I'm loving the mystery of these stills. This film looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words & your photos are always so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My listening is also linked to the seasons. I save Leonard Cohen for the spring because as much as I adore him, he makes me a bit maudlin on cold grey days! My Winter listening includes Paul Simon & Suzanne Vega.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and beautiful. I will be dreaming of a Monaco now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aznavour is great: my favorite song is "et pourtant".

    ReplyDelete
  6. strange, i just started listening to him when i found his record amongst a lot of vinyl records someone gave us. it was a diamond in the rough. that along with edith piaf and jane birkin/serge gainsbourg's "Je t'aime... moi non plus"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reminding me to finally watch this film.

    I remember spending a whole French class in high school listening to Aznavour. "For me, Formidable" is just that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your blog!
    please visit my blog and you may win a GIVEAWAY!
    TheGreenPoet

    http://everydaygiveaway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really happy I found your blog! I love the last two stills.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. That's the only Truffaut film I've yet to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i miss the good old movies :(
    love this post! xx

    ReplyDelete