8.9.10

wednesday




Recently D.&A.&I [re]visited Ms. Smith's exhibit "Sojourn" at the Beloved Brooklyn Museum one sticky afternoon. I was still a bit dizzy from a case of heat stroke;;; a glass of hibiscus iced tea from a local, lovely beverage house helped immensely. As with all things I love and cherish, I find myself hard pressed to find words to "sum up" what I find to be truly important work. Likewise, I just well up whenever I think of the Brooklyn Museum. I'm not sure if it's simply neighborhood pride [and then some], but I can't think of another museum in New York that continues to chip away at gender and race issues in such an engaging, thought-provoking, often uncomfortable way. Even little ol' me left without harboring bad feelings for Andy Warhol [quite a feat, if I may say]. Empty art is simply not to be had in dear Brooklyn; so please, hopefully without having given too much away, head over for a brief "Sojourn" before the opportunity departs.


















12 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I love the statue figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing..... I live too far away to enjoy it first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this is so amazing! i wish i could've seen it for myself. i didn't know about ms. smith's work, and now i'm mesmerized! so thank you so much with sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so inspired by the portraits, they actually brings back some old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing. this is inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures are fantastic, it looks like a great event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks like a beautiful showing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kiki Smith is certainly one of my favorite artists.
    I have never had the luck to see an exhibition entirely dedicated to her so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some really beautiful pictures.
    I hadn't heard about this artist before reading your post, but I'll definitely check more of her work. Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great!
    And amazing inspiration!

    _____________________________
    http://christinakey.blogspot.com/
    _____________________________

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just stumbled aross your blog a few days ago and have spent some time reading your previous posts. I enjoy your way of writing just as more as I enjoy browsing through your photos. You got me captured. !

    I think I'll stick around :)
    + new follower

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks a lot for the post!!!

    i love her work...and i love the pieces in picture number three...
    very inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete